SPLat is now providing HEX files instead of DFU files
Some of our clients receive DFU files for programming devices. Doing this required loading a program called DFUseDemo. This tool has some limitations and has not been supported by STmicro (our CPU vendor) for some time.
For Production, we have now switched to using HEX files and STM32 Cube Programmer. As a result of driver incompatibility, we can no longer generate DFU files.
Obviously, to download a HEX file you could use SPLash. However this has not been updated for a while either, and STM32 Cube Programmer is a more up-to-date tool. Note that it's available for Mac and Linux targets as well as Windows.
Here's how to use the tool:
- Uninstall DFUseDemo. (This might be optional, but ST recommends it.)
- Download and install STM32 Cube Programmer.
- Install the PGM link on the board.
- Connect the USB plug to the board.
- Power the board ON.
- Start STM32 Cube Programmer.
- Click on the "Open File" button:
- Select the required HEX file.
- Click the "Read Unprotect (MCU)" checkbox. (This step is optional if the firmware is already an "unprotected" version.)
- Click the "Download" button.
- Wait for the download to complete.
- Power the board off.
- Remove the PGM link.